Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hipster Liebster

Source
I'm blushing--Ginger Makes and So I Sewed This each sent me a blog award! The one sent by So I Sewed This is called the Liebster award---and the word "Liebster" reminded me of "Hipster," so I'm taking this opportunity to add an Ariel meme and calling this award the "Hipster Liebster." You're welcome!

To be completely honest, I never know what to think of these things---I was always the kid picked last in gym class... but I do enjoy reading other people's answers and finding new blogs, so here goes!
Here's the gist of it:
  • Post 11 random facts about yourself
  • Answer 11 questions
  • Nominate up to 5 other blogs for the award to help others to "discover new blogs" and ask them to answer 11 questions

11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME:
1. I just learned how to properly say the word "Meme" this year. (It's mEEEEEm, not meh-meh.)
2. My sewing room can get really messy with piles everywhere, but I always keep the insides of drawers neat and tidy. I can't stand messy drawers. 
3. I am a crazy about my dogs! They get to sleep in the bed with us, and they are completely spoiled. 
4. In college, I had a pet frog named Marge. She was completely aquatic, and she liked to follow my finger around the fish bowl. A local newspaper even included her in a story about unusual pets. 
5. I drink kale smoothies for breakfast every morning. 
6. I've been a vegetarian for the last 11 years. I used to cheat once a year on Oktoberfest, but I don't do that anymore. 
7. When I'm planning a new sewing project, it's the only thing I can think about. I go over the steps in my head before going to sleep at night. 
8. Hand-sewing hems is my least favorite sewing step. I avoid it whenever possible. 
9. Garlic green olives are one of my favorite foods.
10. I've worn glasses since I was a little kid, and I like glasses.
11. When I started sewing, I was nervous to sew with knit fabrics. But I'm going to tell you a secret, sewing with knits is easier than sewing with wovens! The stretch makes fitting so much easier (and comfier!).


ANSWERS TO 11 QUESTIONS:

1. what's your day job when you're not sewing?
I really don't like to talk about my day job on my blog, but I work full-time. And I wear gold on Fridays. This means that sewing happens on the weekends, and occasionally at night.

2. what's your birthday (you don't have to include the year if you don't want to)?
I'm a Sagittarius. 

3. what's your favorite fabric to sew with?
Knits!

4. what's the best sewing tip that you could give me?
Buy a walking foot. Seriously. They are awesome. And if you sew with knits, you'll use it a lot!

5. what's your favorite notion?
Can I say walking foot again? I've bought plenty of notions that I don't use, but this one is a keeper. 

6. what's your favorite project you've sewn (and include a link if you posted about it)?

I recently did my 2012 Recap, and my Blue Sparrow Pendrell Blouse is currently my favorite. But an important make was my Coffee Date Dress back in April of 2009. Making this dress was a big deal because I don't think I realized that I could make fantastic clothes like this. I surprised myself, in a good way! 

7. what's a pet peeve of yours?
I hate it in movies when the "ugly" girl suddenly becomes "pretty" when she takes off her glasses. HEY! Glasses can look good too!!!

8. what are your favorite tv shows or movies?
Princess Bride is my favorite movie of all-time. Arrested Development is my favorite TV show of all-time. (Can't wait for the new season to come out in 2013!!!!)

9. what's your favorite type of music (name specific bands if you'd like)?
I like a variety of stuff, but some artists that currently have heavy rotation on my playlist include--Bjork, Florence and the Machine, Chemical Brothers, Calvin Harris, Nero.

10. why did you decide to start blogging?
I've always kept a journal on and off, so this seemed like a natural extension of that. Plus, I like the community aspect of it. In real life, I don't have any friends that seriously sew. In blog-land, I have many--that's nice. 

11. why did you decide to start sewing?  
I love the tactile-sensory-goodness of working with fabric. I also really enjoy creating things from scratch. I get a thrill from thinking about an idea in the abstract 2D and making it come to life in 3D. That makes me happy every time!


To pass along the love, I would like to pass this Hipster Liebster Award on to the following blogs. The point is to "discover new blogs" so hopefully you'll find someone new!
All Style All Substance 
Another Sewing Scientist 
Cats and Crafts 
Sew Me Love 
Su Sews So-So 

Check out these blogs if you don't already read them! Good stuff! :)

10 comments:

  1. Ahh! Your dogs are so cute! Mine are completely spoiled, too, and are total bed hogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They may be tiny, bed they know how to hog the bed.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your award! I will check out those blogs as well as your blog! And your dogs are precious. The black one with the grey on it's muzzle looks like my old doggie whose past now. There's a pic of her on my "about" page. She's the spitting image :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the award, Trisha! I enjoyed learning more about you in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already commented on your comment on my blog, but thank you so much for the award! Your blog is one of the first ones I ever followed and - as I said before - I was planning to nominate you for the Liebster haha. I'll gush about your blog more in my acceptance speech (I am taking this award very seriously) post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your dogs! too cute!! and i'm also a huge princess bride and arrested development fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you hear that Arrested Development has a new season that will only be released on Netflix this May? Exciting news!

      Delete
  6. Congrats girly!

    I also re-nominated you on my blog http://eleynagomez.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/wow-awards-pour-moi/

    But no need to do anything about it! Just wanted to acknowledge you as a new sewing friend.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trisha! I'm glad that my blog post about constructive criticism brought out so many readers to comment....I had no idea that all of you were reading! I've been really behind on a lot of personal things, including sewing and blog reading. Can I blame kid vomit and granting deadlines?

    (OK, really it was finally getting around to watching Firefly on Netflix, drinking my red wine Christmas presents, and cleaning my tornado-like house.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!