I was a pattern tester for Tasia's newest pattern--the Saltspring Dress. I just love a sundress on a hot summer day! This dress is perfect to throw on when you want to be cool, but still look put-together.
My fabric is very, very special. This is the only fabric that I purchased on our Italy-Greece trip of Summer 2011. So this dress is made from Italian fabric, but I wore it for the first time on a trip to Mexico where we took these pictures. Doesn't the pool look fabulous?!
The fabric is a stable knit with just a little stretch. The problem--I only had 1.5 yards of the fabric, and the pattern called for 2.25 yards. I was able to get it to fit, but just barely. In order to squeeze it out of my fabric, I had to cut the back skirt upside-down. Can you tell that the print is running in a different direction? I can't. :)
Sewing notes- The Saltspring is a breeze to put together. I love how Tasia really thinks about the best way to construct a garment. For example, the bodice lining is intentionally shorter than the bodice--that way the slouchy look is built in! This means that your dress will always stay perfectly bloused out! For my version, I lengthened my bodice lining by about .75" to make the bloused effect slightly less pronounced. Also, when assembling the bodice, there is a chance that the lining might be visible on the back of the dress--be aware of this. I decided to sew my lining together so that the right side of the lining was facing the outside of the dress.
Also, I changed the straps. The pattern has you tie the straps in bows over your shoulders. Although cute, that didn't appeal to me, so I made my straps plain. Feels much more like me.
I have a couple of ideas for Saltspring variations, and I'm thinking of making another. But for now, I'm off to enjoy the ocean breeze!