Friday, November 29, 2013

Spicy Chai Dress




Good morning! Brrrr! There is finally a chill in the Arizona air, which means that it's time to break out the hot tea in the morning. Which is why I'm naming this series of work dresses after teas. This is the second of my recent Coffee Date Dresses, the first being the Earl Grey Dress, and now we're on to the Spicy Chai! Chai is one of my all-time favorite teas. I love that it's comforting yet also sassy and bold. And this dress is bold!

I combined two prints for this dress. I really like well-combined prints. I think they can look really special. The bodice is a purple peacock feather poly chiffon. The skirt portion is a denim with gold metallic specks. Both fabrics are from JoAnn. The bodice is lined in a bright pink cotton voile (from fabric.com), which I also used to line the pockets. Yes, POCKETS!

Sewing Notes- As with the Earl Grey Dress, I modified the Coffee Date Dress pattern bodice to achieve a perfect fit for me. The armholes are deepened, and the bodice lengthened about an inch. The bodice is underlined in the voile in addition to using the facings. The peacock fabric was quite sheer, so underlining was necessary. It also makes for a surface to catch-stitch the linings to. Finally, I added simple inseam pockets to the skirt.

This dress is working out quite nicely. I've worn it to work several times, and each time I do, my coworkers ask if it's a special occasion. No, just a special dress!

2 comments:

  1. Love this dress! Cute names you gave the 2 dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful dress - I just love the colours and fabric combo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!