Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Inception Little Black Dress



This dress is like a dream within a dream within a dream. It's my version of a dress that was inspired by Gertie's Christina Dress, which was inspired by a Herve Leger dress that Christina Hendricks wore. I must have really loved the Christina Dress that Gertie made, because I remember the original post, and I've been thinking about it ever since---that post went up in May of 2010!Three and a half years later, I'm finally making my version!

I'm debuting my Inception LBD at a holiday party where "festive attire is encouraged." Festive indeed!

Let's start with the fabric. This is a black brushed doubleknit from fabric.com that's a great quality. I've had some mixed luck ordering doubleknits online, so when this one arrived, I knew it was something special. And even though I bought it for something else, I knew it was time to finally make my version of Gertie's Christina Dress. (Looking at my order history, I bought this fabric back in February. Eep! Yes, this dress was a long time coming.) This fabric is drapey enough to cling to the right places, but substantial enough to skim over the other areas. It's a dream to wear! Unfortunately, it looks like they don't carry it anymore, or I would be tempted to buy some in every color they have.

Sewing Notes- This dress started with Butterick 5554-- a tried and true pattern for me (see Matrix Dress and Boston Conference Dress for other versions). The lines on this dress fit me quite well, so it's a great starting point. I modified the front and back neckline to be a square neckline instead of rounded. I didn't need to interface the facings on my other versions, but with the square neckline, I knew interfacing would be necessary to keep the square edges nice and crisp. The decorative black straps sewn into the neckline are simply 1" strips that I sewed together and then hand-sewed on the inside of the neckline. An easy addition, but it's what really makes this dress special!

In love with this neckline! Happy New Year, my friends! And happy sewing!

7 comments:

  1. I love this version. The neckline modification came out so well & the dress looks really beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Credit to the neckline idea goes to Gertie!

      Delete
  2. Great neckline details, and i love the sound of this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the fabric really is nice. Double knits can be fabulous. Perhaps it's a wise idea to order swatches first.

      Delete
  3. Stunning dress - and it goes so well with your stockings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the stockings added a sassy touch!

      Delete
  4. I love the neckline of this one. So cute! You look stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!