Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Unicorns for Women

 

Unicorns! Magical, majestic, wild stallion unicorns! Folks, I am in love with this top. I was absolutely elated when I found this unicorn fabric from Girl Charlee (sadly no longer available). It's a black thermal knit with the unicorns printed on in white. I love, it but I didn't want a shirt made entirely of unicorn fabric--that may be too much of a good thing. Luckily, I had a small piece of black glittery fabric that I'd purchased from the remnant bin at JoAnn. It was less than a yard, but just enough to squeeze out the front of this top. As a result, this shirt is a party in the front AND a party in the back!

Sewing Notes- I modified my basic T-shirt pattern to make this. This time, I made a high-low hem and kept the silhouette loose, but still slim. I also added a unicorn pocket on the front because UNICORNS!

This shirt is super-soft, and I want to wear it everyday. Wearing unicorns could be tricky and look a bit juvenile, but the fact that it's mostly black actually makes this work. Noted. Although I love bright crazy colors, neutrals actually allow you to wear something crazier and over-the-top without looking crazy.

I actually have a dress made from this fabric.
Case and point: a few years ago, I made a beautiful fully-lined work dress out of jungle-print fabric. I never wear this dress. I think about it, but it never makes it out of the house. Why? It's a rainbow of colors filled in with leopards, elephants, tigers, and more. In other words, it's too much. But a black top with tasteful unicorns? Just right, my friends! Just right.

4 comments:

  1. You should wear that awesome jungle print dress. What about a neutral jacket on top? I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should wear that awesome jungle print dress. What about a neutral jacket on top? I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly even with a neutral jacket the dress is just too much!

      Delete

Thanks for the note!