Saturday, May 24, 2014

Little Mermaid Dress



Look at this dress. Isn't it neat? Wouldn't you think my collection's complete? Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, the girl who has... everything?

Speaking of having a weakness for novelty fabric... Your eyes do not deceive you, I have made a Little Mermaid dress! This dress was made for a dear, dear friend of mine who bravely volunteered to go out with me in fabulous cartoon dresses. Remember this, my Carebear dress?

She loves The Little Mermaid (who doesn't?!?), so when I found this Ariel bed sheet, I knew it would be perfect.

Sewing Notes- The fabric here is the star! I also bought some teal/aqua chevron fabric to use as accents---it reminds me of waves. I wanted a simple pattern to let the fabric shine. The pattern is a modified New Look 6557. The bodice is view D, and the midriff is basically half as wide. I made a simple gathered skirt, and it's double layered so that the wave fabric peeks out at the bottom. 

I also took a lot of care to cut the fabric strategically. Check out Ariel on the front, King Triton on the back, and the castle on the midriff. Pretty sweet!

Sewing for someone else who's a different size is pretty nerve wracking. Luckily, my friend likes it! Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of her wearing it, but if we ever work up the courage to wear them out somewhere special, I'll definitely share. :)

3 comments:

  1. I totallly had that Little Mermaid bed spread set when I was a kid! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! The chevron accent fabric is great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress just made my day! TLM is my all time favorite a Disney movie and that dress is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!