Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Ladylike Way to Show Some Skin



When is it appropriate to wear a crop top? This is a question that may be on a lot of women's minds this summer. I've seen many, many crop tops and two-piece dresses shown all over the place. I'm not going to lie--I like the look! In high school, I would have eagerly jumped on any trend that sanctioned a cute crop top. Today, I feel a little differently...which is how this outfit came into play.

I wanted to make a high-waisted jean skirt with a crop top, but I didn't want to be too exposed. The solution was to make a lace top to wear over the cropped one. This full, flouncy denim skirt will go with everything this summer. And I think the lace shirt will get it's fair share of wear too--both over a crop top and over a regular tank top.

Sewing Notes- Skirt: The skirt is made from a light-medium weight stretch denim that I had in my stash from Fabric.com. It's a lovely weight for summer wear and easy to work with. The pattern I used is Butterick 5756. This pattern features deep pleats to give shape to the skirt. Honestly, they were a pain in the neck to make. I checked the finished measurements and cut a size to fit at my natural waist, but I guess I didn't account for some stretching that happened along the way, and I ended up having to take it in by about 1.5". Not fun with all of those pleats. Other special features include big, roomy pockets that I sewed up in heart fabric!

Sewing Notes- Top: The lace top is made from a blue-violet stretch lace that I picked up from a local store that sells mill ends. I modified my self-drafted kimono top to make it more form-fitting. Binding the edges of lace can get a bit fiddly, but other than that it was a quick make.

So far, I wore the outfit as-is out with friends, but I also wore it with a regular tank top underneath to a family function. It worked fabulously for both! Ladylike, but still sassy!

5 comments:

  1. Super cute! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great look! Smart idea with the lace top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really stylish and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely look! Really love all of it, and that was such a good idea to pair a lace top with the crop top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the note!